Ocean-based local weather options play a key function in conserving the aim of limiting temperature rise to 1.5°C inside attain and bettering world local weather resilience. On the event of the “Oceans and Coastal Areas” thematic day at COP27, the US is highlighting the next local weather actions within the oceans.
Delivery with out emissions
- Launching the Inexperienced Cargo Problem: Following President Biden’s name to motion on the Main Economies Discussion board in June 2022, the USA and Norway launched the Inexperienced Delivery Problem at COP27, with greater than 40 main bulletins from nations, ports, and firms concerning the actions they’re taking to assist align the transport sector with the aim of limiting world warming to 1.5 °C. For our half, the USA introduced initiatives that embody three new bilateral work streams targeted on facilitating inexperienced transport lanes with the Republic of Korea, Canada, and the UK, the USA Marine Decarbonization Technique, and the launch of the Inexperienced Delivery Hall Initiation Challenge to assist feasibility research for inexperienced transport lanes that embody growing nations. . These efforts construct on U.S. management in zero-emission transport, together with $3 billion within the Lowering Inflation Act to assist zero-emission port tools, expertise, and local weather motion plans; greater than $700 million in a bipartisan infrastructure invoice to make U.S. ports extra environment friendly and resilient; and US efforts on the Worldwide Maritime Group (IMO) to advance the aim of phasing out greenhouse fuel emissions from the worldwide transport sector to zero no later than 2050.
Marine primarily based options
- Advancing the Oceans Pledge: The Oceans Pledge mobilizes nationwide commitments to advertise marine conservation, and is a important ocean-based resolution to addressing the local weather and biodiversity crises. Throughout COP27, 16 nations introduced their endorsement of the pledge, signaling their dedication to conserving or defending a minimum of 30 p.c of the ocean waters beneath their jurisdiction by 2030. That is the primary tranche of contributors within the pledge, which incorporates Australia, Canada and Chile Colombia, Costa Rica, Fiji, France, Greece, Japan, Kenya, Malta, Panama, Portugal, Romania, Seychelles, and Sri Lanka. By mobilizing nations around the globe to strengthen marine conservation efforts and drive implementation inside their very own waters, we are going to transfer nearer to efficiently attaining the worldwide “30 by 30” aim.
- Growth of the Blue Carbon Stock Challenge: By the Blue Carbon Stock Challenge, the Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is working with companion nations to supply technical help targeted on together with coastal wetlands in nationwide greenhouse fuel inventories and strengthening the capability for long-term sustainable administration of those habitats. NOAA has launched two new challenge partnerships, together with one with the Smithsonian Environmental Analysis Heart (SERC) and a brand new nation companion, Costa Rica. NOAA and SERC will work collectively to develop 1) knowledge instruments to evaluate and observe the quantity and high quality of soil and biomass blue carbon knowledge and a couple of) an easy-to-use interface to allow nationwide greenhouse fuel stock compilers and different stakeholders entry to stratify and interrogate the information primarily based on on the particular wants of every nation. In September, the Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) held the challenge’s first workshop with Costa Rica to supply technical info to assist the Nationally Decided Contributions and to advertise in-country cooperation on blue carbon.
- Help the Ocean Danger and Resilience Motion Coalition: By the Ocean Danger and Resilience Motion Alliance (ORRAA), the USA is supporting three initiatives: assessing dangers in Toamasina, Madagascar, via the publication of the Local weather and Ocean Vulnerability Index (CORVI); the third wave of the Ocean Resilience Innovation Problem (ORIC), which builds a portfolio of investable initiatives supposed to learn native communities and scale back ocean and local weather dangers; and the publication of the Coastal Danger Index, which calculates and maps the protecting advantages of mangroves and coral reefs to include the worth of those coastal ecosystems into threat insurance coverage fashions.
marine renewable power
- Be a part of the International Offshore Wind Alliance: Offshore wind has nice untapped potential to fight the local weather disaster. To assist drive put in offshore wind capability globally, the USA joined the International Offshore Wind Alliance (GOWA) at COP27 as a founding member. GOWA’s aim is to function a worldwide powerhouse for an bold offshore wind consumption and to contribute to attaining complete offshore wind capability of a minimal of 380 GW by 2030 and growing put in capability of a minimum of 70 GW per 12 months from 2030. The USA is taken into account a frontrunner in offshore wind, With nationwide targets to deploy a minimum of 30 GW of offshore wind capability by 2030 and 15 GW of floating offshore wind capability by 2035.
- Develop a nationwide motion plan for ocean acidification: The USA has introduced the beginning of the method to create/develop the USA Ocean Acidification Motion Plan (OA-AP), with the aim of finishing it by COP28. The OA-AP goals to 1) determine US actions that deal with the basis causes of ocean acidification, 2) spotlight US management and priorities on ocean acidification, 3) articulate a coordinated method to natural farming throughout US federal, state, and native businesses, 4) determine gaps and alternatives for additional work, and 5) function a mechanism to advertise better worldwide cooperation amongst members of the Natural Agriculture Alliance. The OA-AP will probably be intently linked to the U.S. Ocean Local weather Motion Plan, which is able to information ocean-based mitigation and local weather adaptation actions, together with inexperienced transport, ocean-based renewable power, ocean acidification, and different ocean-related actions. Answer. The drafting and issuance of the US Nationwide Motion Plan will present a mannequin for different members searching for to combine analysis, monitoring, and adaptation efforts throughout their governments.
At COP 27, the USA may also have interaction on ocean points in negotiations, together with the subsequent steps for the Oceans Dialogue and Local weather Change, established by the Glasgow Local weather Pact at COP26, and take part in a spread of ocean local weather occasions, together with the discharge of “Advancing Formidable Local weather Motion.” Ocean-Based mostly” from the Excessive-Degree Panel on a Sustainable Ocean Financial system, which highlights the ocean and local weather work of panelists.
For media inquiries, please contact [email protected]
#Ocean #Local weather #Declarations #COP27