Hattiesburg, Miss (WDAM) – Joe Paul, Ph.D., will function the eleventh president of the College of Southern Mississippi.
The choice got here after the Board of Trustees of State Increased Training Establishments concluded its seek for the establishment’s new president and voted to nominate Paul, who’s presently the college’s interim president.
Trustee Gee Ogletree, co-chair of the Board’s Analysis Committee, mentioned. I’ve identified and witnessed Dr. Paul’s distinctive contributions to the College for greater than 4 a long time.
“Recognizing Dr. Paul’s power, relationships, ardour and years of service to Miss South, she has confirmed past doubt that he’s the correct particular person to steer the College into the following chapter of management and excellence in instructing, service and analysis within the state and the nation.”
Paul, a Miss South graduate, mentioned he was honored to simply accept the place and humbled by the belief of the board of administrators in him.
“I’m honored and honored to simply accept this appointment from the Mississippi Board of Trustees of Increased Training Establishments to turn into the eleventh president of our beloved college of southern Mississippi,” mentioned Dr. Paul. “Each the Board of Administrators and Commissioner Rankins have proven nice help for me and Miss South.
“I’m particularly grateful to the Co-Chairs of the Presidential Analysis Committee, Chairman Tommy Duff and Guardian J Ogletree. These two Miss South alumni have demonstrated braveness, religion and integrity via the method. They love Miss South as a lot as I do, they usually share a imaginative and prescient in regards to the impression potential of this establishment. positively on our area, state and past.”
As interim president, Paul mentioned he has labored to advertise pupil recruitment, revitalize pupil life in a post-pandemic setting, share the Miss Southern story, help intercollegiate athletics as a brand new member of the Solar Belt Convention and assist pay $150 for the college. The Million Capital marketing campaign is nearer to its purpose three years earlier than the marketing campaign ends.
“Now we have work to do in growing enrollment, growing our impression on our Mississippi Gulf Coast and making certain that our analysis venture continues to develop,” Ball mentioned. “I’m additionally deeply dedicated to creating an unprecedented pupil life and management expertise. The spirit of shared governance can be entrance and heart for me.
“I need to guarantee everybody that I’ll assault these subsequent 4 years with the power and urgency with which I handled the primary 4 months. We’ll chase daring targets with ardour and perseverance. Our Southern Miss will prevail.”
Paul beforehand labored on the college as a Pupil Affairs Officer for greater than 40 years. He turned Vice President for Pupil Affairs in February 1993 after holding varied positions, together with Assistant Director of Pupil Actions, Affiliate Vice President and Dean of Pupil Improvement. Paul additionally holds the rank of school member within the USM School of Training and Psychology.
Between his retirement from the college in 2015 and his appointment as interim president earlier this 12 months, Paul has held part-time positions with the college’s fundraising basis, as citizen service coordinator for the Metropolis of Hattiesburg, as government coach for Horne Enterprise Advisor Group and as government coach and strategic advisor for Blue Hen Consulting Company. .
“Paul is well-known to the campus neighborhood and does not actually need an introduction,” mentioned Dr. Guardian Tom Duff, co-chair of the Board’s Analysis Committee. “Within the hearings, dozens of Miss South alumni and college students described the best way Dr. Paul maintains the wants of The scholars are at the start and every one in every of them is given the required help for them to rise.
“The non-public expertise college students obtain on the college[is]one of many many attributes that make Southern Mississippi College particular. Dr. Paul is the very best particular person to construct on these strengths and assist the college attain the following degree of success.”
Along with his work at Southern Miss, Paul has given administration and management seminars and coaching applications to varied corporations, industries, and academic establishments. As well as, he was a Senior Guide at The Atlanta Consulting Group, a Fortune High 50 administration consulting agency. Shoppers he has labored with embrace Paul UPS, RJR Nabisco, Ohio-Edison, Stennis Institute, US Navy, Accenture and Horne CPA Well being Care group.
Paul and his spouse, Meg, reside in Hattiesburg, MS, and are lively members of Trinity Episcopal Church. They’ve two older youngsters and two grandchildren.
Extremely concerned within the Hattiesburg neighborhood, Poole beforehand served two phrases as head of the United Approach of Southeast Mississippi. He has additionally served as Chairman of the Board of the Better Hattiesburg Space Improvement Company, as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Mississippi Public Workers Retirement System, as President of the Hattiesburg Space Training Basis, as a trustee of the Hattiesburg Public College District and as a member of the Board of Administrators of the Hattiesburg Boys and Women Membership.
As well as, Paul co-founded the Hattiesburg Management Pinebelt Program and served statewide in management positions with the Mississippi Financial Council.
Paul holds a Ph.D. He acquired his Ph.D. in Increased Training Administration from the College of Alabama and was named the college’s greatest doctoral pupil on this area in 1985.
The St. Louis native earned a bachelor’s diploma in Communication and Political Science from USM in 1975, graduating summa cum laude from College School. He later earned a grasp’s diploma in Communications and Administration from Southern Miss in 1978.
In 2000, Paul was inducted into the College of Southern Mississippi Alumni Corridor of Fame.
After the Monday, October 24, announcement of Paul’s appointment, reward for the choice started pouring in from campus and neighborhood leaders. Some responses beneath:
- Hattiesburg Mayor Toby Parker: “I imagine each Miss Southern Golden Eagle enthusiastically commends Dr. Joe Paul for selecting to steer our college for the following 4 years. Dr. Joe Paul has Miss Southern in his soul. There isn’t any another dependable, succesful, or keen to tackle the mantle of management, and I recognize that The Worldwide Humanitarian Legislation Board of Trustees listens to stakeholders and makes a daring and decisive determination.”
- Dennis Wiesenburg, President of the Senate of the Union School of the Metropolitan: “I believe USM school can be delighted to have Dr. Paul chosen as our subsequent chair. The IHL Council Analysis Committee instructed us that our subsequent chair needs to be somebody who shares Dr. Paul’s imaginative and prescient of how the college operates. He’s the form of chief who will work in true partnership with members of The college and workers at USM to information our college in direction of a vivid future.”
- Jessica Langston, Chairman of the Employees Council: Throughout his tenure as Interim President, Dr. Paul has been intentional in his efforts to interact and interact the workers of this crucial group throughout all universities. We’re excited to help Dr. Paul throughout his everlasting appointment as college president and sit up for collaborating with him and his management workforce to proceed to drive Miss South ahead.”
- Chuck Siana, alumnus from Houston, Texas: “I imagine IHL has proven, via their choice of Dr. Joe Paul as the following president of Miss South, that they’re in contact with the wants and targets of the College within the brief and long run. Dr. Paul possesses the qualities, expertise and relationships that Miss South South wants to maneuver ahead with the R1 analysis designation and transition. To the following degree. I believe this can be a nice alternative and I hope all college students, school, workers, and alumni will help Dr. Paul and his efforts to take Miss South to the highest!”
- Ashley Lankford, President of the Authorities Pupil Affiliation: “Dr. Paul is the true embodiment of what it means to be a golden eagle! He exhibits every of us day by day what it means to serve our college and go away it higher than we discovered it. His help for college kids and his ardour for all times on campus is unbelievable. With that being mentioned, we’re proud to have him function our official president. For the following 4 years!”
Along with the in-person hearings held on the USM campus, the board additionally launched a web-based survey to permit as many college students, alumni, school, workers, and neighborhood members as attainable to take part.
Movies of the listening to and survey outcomes are posted on-line at USM President Search . website.
An official announcement can be made as a part of on-campus football-related actions on Thursday, October 27, when the Golden Eagles face the College of Louisiana’s Rajin Cagons workforce. Announcement will happen at 3:00 p.m. within the ballroom on the Thad Cochran Heart on the USM Campus in Hattiesburg.
Need extra WDAM 7 information in your inbox? click on over here To subscribe to our publication.
Copyright 2022 WDAM. All rights reserved.
#College #Southern #Mississippi #appointed #Joe #Paul #president