row 7: – 35,333 per 12 months
Fastened time period – full time
Contracted hours per week: 35
ultimate date: January 05, 2023, 7:59:00 AM
Class grade 7
situation 30-month fixed-term contract
Wage vary £35,333 per 12 months
ultimate date January 4, 2023
working preparations This position is full-time however we’ll take into account requests for versatile working preparations together with potential work partnerships
Durham College is without doubt one of the greatest universities on the earth and has strengths within the arts, humanities, sciences, and social sciences. We’re dwelling to a number of the most gifted students and researchers from all over the world who’re tackling international points and making a distinction in folks’s lives.
The college is positioned in a stupendous historic metropolis the place it co-owns a UNESCO World Heritage Website with Durham Cathedral, the biggest Romanesque constructing in Western Europe. A collegiate college, Durham attracts excellent college students from everywhere in the world and affords a pupil expertise not like another.
Lower than three hours north of London and an hour and a half south of Edinburgh, County Durham is an space steeped in historical past and pure magnificence. The Durham Dales, together with the North Pennines of Excellent Pure Magnificence, are dwelling to beautiful surroundings and sights. Durham affords a superb alternative of residential areas within the metropolis, suburbs and countryside. The college affords a spread of advantages together with retirement and childcare advantages and the college’s transportation director can help with potential training necessities.
Durham College strives to advertise and keep an inclusive and supportive atmosphere for work and examine that helps all members of our college neighborhood to succeed in their full potential. Range brings power and we welcome calls for from the worldwide, nationwide and regional communities we work with and serve.
Chemistry in Durham is a thriving middle of scientific exercise for educating and for world-leading analysis within the chemical sciences. It’s positioned within the coronary heart of the College Science web site and solely a 10-minute stroll from town centre. Durham College is on the earth’s prime 100 universities (QS World Rankings, 2022) and is persistently within the prime 5 within the tables of main British leagues. Analysis within the Division of Chemistry is interdisciplinary and is organized into six analysis teams: Bioactive Chemistry and Synthesis. catalysis and sustainable chemical processes; Computational and dynamic. useful molecules and supplies; bodily membership and aggregation; Tender supplies and facades. Via these collections, we give attention to tackling international challenges throughout three core themes, the manufacture of the long run, the bioeconomics and the invention of latest supplies. This undertaking will fall underneath the theme of Tender Matter and Interfaces.
The Fluids and complex interfaces A analysis group led by Professor Colin Payne within the Division of Chemistry at Durham College is inviting purposes for a Postdoctoral Analysis Assistant to work on a undertaking entitled Design Idea-Primarily based Design of Nanovein Networks for Selective VOC Sensing (divineFunded by the Engineering and Bodily Sciences Analysis Council.
The place is full time for 30 months.
At DIVINE, we search to develop new sensors for unstable natural compounds (VOCs) primarily based on steel oxide quantum dot skinny movies with well-controlled porosity at a number of size scales, impressed by pure methods, reminiscent of leaf veins, which are optimum for mass transport.
The position holder is anticipated to steer or contribute to the targets of plenty of work packages:
- Characterization and management of the drying dynamics of unstable ink droplets containing steel oxide quantum dots on a set of energetic and passive substrates;
- creating methods for the managed formation of porous supplies with managed porosity at a number of size scales utilizing a spread of printing strategies, together with formulation of inks to attain this aim;
- Develop a primary understanding of the mechanism and manufacturing circumstances for shaping hierarchically porous Murray constructions utilizing designed inks;
- Regulate ink formulation to enhance ink rheology for print stability and reproducibility and for optimum sensor efficiency;
- Help with materials integration for large-scale printing and measurements of statistical variance in sensor efficiency.
The position holder will work with Professor Colin Payne and Dr Lesung Yang at Durham College in collaboration with the lead scientist on the undertaking, Professor Tawfiq Hassan on the Cambridge Graphene Centre, College of Cambridge, and Professor Julian Gardner on the College of Warwick.
Candidates will need to have a PhD (or near acquiring it) in chemistry, supplies science, engineering, physics, or a associated technical self-discipline. Candidates are anticipated to have efficiently defended their PhD thesis earlier than commencing their work.
To carry out the position, candidates will want wonderful presentation, technical writing, and scientific illustration abilities. The applicant ought to have the ability to work independently and in groups inside and outdoors the college, with wonderful organizational, communication and time administration abilities. They are going to have the flexibility to assume independently and formulate options to empirical issues.
- To grasp and convey materials of a specialised or high-tech nature to the group or group of individuals via shows and discussions resulting in the presentation of analysis papers in conferences and publications.
- To arrange and ship shows on analysis outputs/actions to audiences which can embrace analysis sponsors, educational and non-academic audiences.
- To publish high-quality output, together with papers for submission to journals and peer-reviewed papers for presentation at conferences and workshops underneath the supervision of the principal investigator.
- To help within the improvement of analysis targets and proposals.
- To conduct particular person and collaborative analysis initiatives underneath the supervision of the principal investigator.
- To work with the principal investigator, co-investigators, and different colleagues within the analysis group, as applicable, to determine areas of analysis, develop new analysis strategies, and increase the analysis portfolio.
- To cope with issues that will have an effect on the achievement of analysis targets and deadlines via dialogue with the principal investigator and co-researcher and to supply revolutionary or revolutionary options.
- To liaise with analysis colleagues and make inner and exterior contacts to develop data and understanding to type relationships for future analysis collaborations.
- To plan and handle analysis exercise and analysis assets in collaboration with others and to contribute to the planning of analysis initiatives.
- To offer coaching in analysis methods/strategies to friends, guests and college students as applicable.
- To take part within the supervision of scholars, as applicable, and to help within the evaluation of scholars’ data.
- Promote a teamwork and respectful atmosphere that’s inclusive and welcoming, wherein everyone seems to be handled with equity, dignity and respect.
- To have interaction in broader citizenship to assist oath and broader self-discipline.
- To have interaction in persevering with skilled improvement via membership of departmental committees, and many others., and by attending related coaching and improvement programs.
- To maintain detailed undertaking and experiment data according to the undertaking information administration plan.
- To attend undertaking conferences.
This job is restricted to 30 months. The earliest begin date is February 1, 2023. The undertaking is timed and can finish on January 31, 2026. The profitable applicant will start work as quickly as potential after the undertaking begin date and no later than August 1, 2023.
The job holder is employed to work on a analysis undertaking that will likely be led by Professor Payne. Whereas because of this the job holder is not going to conduct unbiased analysis per se, they’re anticipated to contribute to the progress of the undertaking, by creating their very own analysis concepts/adaptation and creating analysis protocols.
- Maintain a PhD in Chemistry, Supplies Science, Engineering, Physics, or a associated topic, in a topic related to the DIVINE Challenge.
- We welcome purposes from candidates who’ve submitted or are about to submit their PhD thesis however haven’t but defended their thesis.
- Expertise in conducting top quality educational analysis.
- Demonstrable skill to jot down high quality materials commensurate with publication in extremely rated journals.
- Demonstrable skill to current analysis papers at nationwide/worldwide conferences and to impart advanced data to professionals and the broader educational neighborhood.
- Demonstrated skill to work collaboratively as a part of a group, together with taking part in analysis conferences.
- Capacity to work independently and to deadlines.
- Capacity to make use of their very own initiative to seek out inventive options to issues.
- Glorious interpersonal and communication abilities.
- Sturdy publication file in refereed journals, commensurate with the stage of profession.
- Expertise with microfluidics or precision manufacturing methods, reminiscent of die printing, inkjet printing or direct ink writing (DIW).
- A background in colloid science or the formulation of advanced liquid merchandise.
- Information of optical and/or electron microscopy.
Learn how to apply
For casual inquiries, please contact Professor Colin Bain through e mail: [email protected] All inquiries will likely be handled confidentially.
We want to obtain purposes on-line via the Durham College vacancies web site. https://www.dur.ac.uk/jobs/. As a part of the appliance course of, you will need to present particulars of three referees (ideally educational/analysis) and particulars of your present line supervisor in order that we are able to seek for a job reference.
Functions are notably welcome from girls, black and minority ethnic candidates.
What do you provide
All candidates are required to submit
- Temporary educational CV.
- A canopy letter detailing your expertise, strengths, and capabilities in relation to the necessities outlined above;
- An entire publication record explaining your contribution to every essay or different educational output.
Extra paperwork that aren’t requested as a part of your utility is not going to be thought of.
Candidates will likely be evaluated in keeping with the standards outlined above. Shortlisted candidates will likely be invited for an interview, provisionally within the week commencing January 9, 2023. In-person interviews are most popular however interviews may be performed on-line if required.
If in case you have any questions on this emptiness or the appliance course of, please contact Professor Colin Payne ([email protected]) for inquiries of a technical nature referring to the position and [email protected] for inquiries concerning the appliance course of.
DBS necessities: don’t apply.
#Postdoctoral #researcher #thinfilm #microfabrication #operate #Durham #College